While Colorado is a breathtakingly beautiful place in Spring, Summer, Fall or Winter, the weather can be volatile and unpredictable within just 10 miles. "if you don't like the weather in Colorado, just wait 15 minutes" is not just a saying. A clear sky can turn cloudy and into a blizzard or downpour in just minutes, and a windy stretch of open road can become an ice rink in the blink of an eye. Follow a standard set of precautions while traveling through the mountains or on the plains for a safe and enjoyable trip.
Being prepared for a road trip can be the difference between a great day and disaster. Always tell someone where you are going and when you are expected back.
Please before you go on any road trip into the mountains, always take along an emergency kit:
• A blanket, jacket, gloves
• A first Aid Kit
• Fresh bottled water
• A sealed box of crackers or candy bars
• A flashlight w/ fresh batteries
• A state map or reliable GPS
• Charged cell phone
• A little extra cash for emergencies
• Flares, spare belts, hoses and a good spare tire